Physician Assistant Studies Admissions Requirements
CASPA Application Deadline: September 1
International Students: International Course Credit (pdf)
Applications must be marked VERIFIED by September 1. It may take up to 4 or more weeks from your complete date for your application to be verified.
To be considered for admission to the Physician Assistant
Studies (PAS) program, applicants must present official documentation
of the following student competencies:
- Overall GPA Minimum: 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Science GPA Minimum: 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. (Biology,
microbiology, immunology/virology, anatomy, physiology, genetics, and
chemistry for undergraduate and graduate courses)
- All GRE scores must be sent to CASPA using code 0437,
even if you are a re-applicant or have already sent the score directly
to UTMB. Your name must match exactly on both the GRE and CASPA
- UTMB has no minimum score for GRE. Official GRE scores from ETS deadline is September 1.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university completed by the spring semester prior to matriculation
- All completed prerequisite courses must be passed with grades of "C" or better.
- All prerequisite credits and receipt of the
bachelor's degree must be completed no later than the spring semester of
the year of matriculation. The UTMB PAS program does not accept prior
learning experience to fulfill prerequisites and/or professional course
- All science courses must be designated for
"science majors." Distance learning or online courses are accepted to
meet the prerequisite requirements
- Completed and submitted the CASPA application,
official transcripts, and supporting documents on or before the
- Submitted Graduation Record Examination (GRE) scores to CASPA.
- Paid appropriate fees to CASPA and UTMB.
All completed prerequisite courses must be passed with letter grades of "C" or better and recorded on the official transcript.
Prior learning experiences (courses at another PA program or health care program), continuing education, CME, and/or workforce credits are not counted to fulfill prerequisite courses
Total Credit Hours: 47 (50)
Download: Admissions Self-Appraisal Checklist (PDF)
These are the prerequisites required of Master of Physician Assistant Studies (MPAS) applicants:
|Biological Sciences with Lab||8|
|Microbiology/Bacteriology with Lab||3-4*|
|Genetics without Lab||3|
|Human Anatomy with Lab||4|
|Human Physiology with Lab||4|
|Chemistry with Lab||8|
|Organic Chemistry/Biochemistry with Lab||3-4*|
* Note: Only if your institution does not offer a lab with these courses will you be exempt from the lab requirement.For equivalency info, visit the Texas General Education Core Web Center http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/apps/tcc/.
Please note the Texas Legislature enacted a "six course
withdrawals" limit effective Fall 2007. For more information, see
Senate Bill 1231 Drop Policy: www.legis.state.tx.us.
- Complete and submit your CASPA application. It must be verified by September 1
(11:59 pm EST). Check the CASPA website for information regarding your
application status. Report your GRE scores directly to CASPA. Note:
Your application will be considered incomplete if there is missing
information, including GRE scores, and/or documentation by the published
deadlines, and will not be processed due to the volume of applications
- CASPA designations:
- Submitted: You will receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was submitted.
- Completed: Your application status menu reads as "Complete/Not Verified".
- Verified: It may take four (4) weeks for your application to be reviewed from the date it becomes complete
- Mailed: UTMB Enrollment Services has your application for processing.
and submit your supplemental application once UTMB Enrollment Services
receives and processes your CASPA application. Applicants will also need
to send payment. Once both are received, applicants will be given a
UTMB ID number for access to MyStar.
UTMB PAS Department will notify all applicants via email when their
applications have been received and when the admissions decision has
been made. Please allow several weeks for processing.
has a rolling admissions process; therefore, your application is open
until you hear from us with a final decision. If you do not hear from us
by December 1, please contact us 409-772-3048 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about the status of your application.
- Visiting the campus is often times the best way for a prospective student to get a complete picture of a university and its program. We invite you to visit our campus during one of our upcoming Open House dates. For more information and to RSVP, visit https://som.utmb.edu/physician-assistant/open-house. Unfortunately due to teaching and other program commitments, we are unable to offer individual counseling. If you are accepted for an interview; however, we will meet with you individually to review missing prerequisite courses. Our interviews are scheduled early enough that you have the opportunity to register for any missing courses in the spring semester. We are excited that you are considering UTMB for your higher education goals.
- Preference given to Texas residents, however, all applicants are considered.
PAS-Admissions and Application-Other Information
|Post Graduate Degrees
|GRE - Verbal
|GRE - Quantitative
Areas for your supporting statement on your application include but are not limited to: experiences (medical and otherwise), special and unique talents, honors and accomplishments, work history, community service, extracurricular activities, geographic representation, social and economic background, special personal circumstances (poor grades, etc.), and leadership potential. It is always helpful to include a one to two page resume that highlights your educational, work, and community service experiences with your application.
Three (3) letters of recommendation are required and must be sent directly to CASPA. Please do not send any documents to the PA Department. Professors, college advisors, clinicians, and employers are recommended. Family members cannot provide letters of recommendation.
All entering students must undergo a security background check prior to matriculation. The security background check must be completed after you have been offered acceptance and no more than 60 days prior to your enrollment into the program. Admissions is conditional until a clear background check is received.
BLS or BCLS Certification is required upon enrollment in the program and must be maintained throughout matriculation.