John Sealy SOM Office of Admissions & Recruitment
General Information and Criteria for Applicant Evaluation
All applicants must apply online with the Texas Medical and Dental Schools Application Service. Their website is located at: www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas.
Applications and letters of recommendations will be received beginning June 1st and run through October 30th. Upon receipt of a completed primary application, you will receive an invitation to complete our secondary application. Interviews will be conducted from August through December. Each year, approximately 230 students matriculate, with no more than 10% from out of state. If you are not accepted in the February match, your application will be considered for possible placement in the alternate pool. This pool is not ranked. When positions become available, the Admissions Committee will review all candidates in the pool for acceptance. The number taken from the pool varies from year to year, but is usually somewhere between 10 and 15.
Criteria for Applicant Evaluation
(Please Note: All documents and tests scores including CASPer, MCAT must be received before an application will be reviewed.)
The Admissions Committee is solely responsible for the admission of students. The members review all applications and recommend for admission the applicants deemed best qualified. The committee members, in determining an applicant's eligibility for admission, consider aspects such as the recommendation of the health professions advisor or advisory committee, personal qualifications, academic profile, undergraduate coursework, grades, MCAT and CASPer scores. Academic and nonacademic factors are of equal importance. Particular consideration is given to the applicant's maturity, motivation, and intellectual curiosity as reflected by academic honors, demonstrated leadership roles, research experiences, and participation in activities such as public or community service, athletics, performing arts, and social organizations. Also considered are interpersonal skills, oral and bilingual communication skills, and unique educational, career, or life experiences.
Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate
Advanced Placement (AP): Credit is accepted only if the school granting the credit lists the specific course(s) and number of units granted per course on an official transcript.
If AP credits appear as lump sum credit on the transcript, a letter from the college or university registrar specifying course equivalency for credit earned will be required in order to receive credit for the courses.
International Baccalaureate (IB): Accepted only if the school granting the credit lists the specific course(s) and number of units granted per course on an official transcript.
UTMB does not routinely grant deferments. If you wish to be considered for a deferment, you must make a request in writing to the Admissions Committee. This must be done prior to the May 15 deadline. Once received, the Admissions Committee will meet,
review your request, and notify you when a decision has been made. If approved, the following conditions apply:
- The deferment must be used for the purpose requested, as stated in your letter.
- You will not seek admission to another medical school during the period of your deferment.
- You will send us written notification on or about March 1 of the following year, reaffirming your intent to matriculate that August.
- All of the statements on your application and all of the other personal information that you have provided to us remain true and valid and you have met all of the conditions in your acceptance letter.
- Your ability to perform out technical standards remain and will not have changed upon your matriculation to UTMB.
- Nothing occurred which would cause us to refuse you a position in the freshman class if you were applying for admission to The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston for the first time.
- You will have successfully completed all the requirements for your baccalaureate degree or meet all conditions that you indicated on your application to UTMB.