UTMB does not routinely grant deferments. If you wish to be considered for a deferment, you must make a request in writing to the Admissions Committee. This must be done prior to the May 15 deadline. Once received, the Admissions Committee will meet, review your request, and notify you when a decision has been made. If approved, the following conditions apply:
- The deferment must be used for the purpose requested, as stated in your letter.
- You will not seek admission to another medical school during the period of your deferment.
- You will send us written notification on or about March 1 of the following year, reaffirming your intent to matriculate that August.
- All of the statements on your application and all of the other personal information that you have provided to us remain true and valid and you have met all of the conditions in your acceptance letter.
- Your ability to perform out technical standards remain and will not have changed upon your matriculation to UTMB.
- Nothing occurred which would cause us to refuse you a position in the freshman class if you were applying for admission to The University of Texas Medical School at Galveston for the first time.
- You will have successfully completed all the requirements for your baccalaureate degree or meet all conditions that you indicated on your application to UTMB.
All documents must be addressed to:
Richard Carroll, PhD
Assistant Dean for Admissions and Recruitment
University of Texas Medical Branch
301 University Blvd.
Galveston, Texas 77555-1317