Educational AffairsOffice of Clinical Education (OCE)
Below you will find information necessary to recruit community teaching physicians for the UTMB 3rd year Pediatric and Internal Medicine clerkships and the 4th year Ambulatory Community Selective (ACS). UTMB appreciates your efforts in recruiting and retaining preceptors who will assist us in training our future physicians.
UTMB Community-Based Courses
This page lists individual course schedules, syllabi, preceptor objectives, contact information and other links for each community-based course.
Community Teaching Physicians Qualifications:
- MDs and DOs are eligible
- Licensed and practicing in the state of Texas
- Board-certified in their discipline
- No disparaging board orders listed on the Texas State Medical Board
- For the 3rd year Internal Medicine Clerkship and the 4th year ACS, specialists practicing in an ambulatory setting are allowed to teach for these two courses. The 3rd year Pediatric Clerkship requires preceptors to be Pediatric generalists practicing in an ambulatory setting only.
Useful websites to verify preceptor status during recruitment process:
- Verify active license to work in Texas
- Verify physicians are board certified
- How to find physicians in your region
Benefits of becoming a UTMB Community Teaching Physician
Most medical student preceptors are volunteers that offer their time to teach medical students within their practices. This link provides information on the perks that UTMB offers to community-based teaching physicians who teach for the Practice of Medicine 1 Course (POM1), the 3rd year clerkships, and the 4th year Ambulatory Community Selective (ACS).
UTMB Top Doc Award
UTMB will ask AHEC coordinators to help nominate Community Teaching Physicians that have excelled in assisting UTMB teach our future physicians. This link will tell you more about this annual "Teacher of Distinction" award.
If you need to email a UTMB student, you can find their email address using the UTMB Directory.
AHEC Coordinators - if you have any questions about preceptor recruitment, please contact Brian Sullivan.